Thursday, April 25, 2019

Song of the Trees (Logans #3) by Mildred D. Taylor

★★★

After reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, book 4 in the series about the Logan family, I figured it'd be worth reading the rest of the series as well.

I have to admit, I did not realize this book is essentially a short story. I'm actually glad I read it after reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, because that meant I went into this book already knowing who the characters were. Without that pre-existing connection, I'm not sure I would have felt as invested in this story.

Song of the Trees tells of the episode, referenced in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, in which a white man takes advantage of Papa not being home to strong-arm Big Ma into allowing him to cut down trees on her land. The book conveys a deep appreciation for nature while reaffirming David Logan's dignity in the face of overt racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment