Saturday, March 27, 2010

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (#2) by Lenore Look

★★★★

Isabelle allowed me to read this book to her, and she liked it so much she wanted to go back and read Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things. As a sequel, it felt like "more of the same", but it's a formula that works for me, so that's okay. (Although, the part when Alvin befriends a boy who is wearing the same night-vision goggles as he's wearing is a bit TOO reminiscent of Ruby Lu meeting her cousin for the first time and finding that they share the same love for reflecting tape.) It won't stop me from reading Alvin Ho: Allergic to Birthday Parties, Science Projects, and Other Man-made Catastrophes once I can find it at the library. I like Alvin Ho more than Ruby Lu, maybe because Alvin Ho elicits some sense of sympathy, and also, I can relate to at least some of his anxieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment