Thursday, December 30, 2010

South City Kitchen - Atlanta, GA

★★★★★

Every time we visit Ken's parents in Atlanta, I like to re-visit old haunts, mostly restaurants we frequented when Ken and I were first dating. Today Ken and I had lunch at South City Kitchen, where Ken made quite an impression on me years ago.

South City Kitchen turned out to be even better than I remembered. Everything about the meal was fantastic, and I am finally going to give a restaurant a full five-star rating! Ken and I both had cocktails which were perfectly mixed, not too weak, not too strong. We split two delicious appetizers, both of which had well-blended flavors: fried green tomatoes made with goat cheese, served with a red pepper coulis and fresh basil, and a bowl of chowder made with sweet potatoes, corn, and bacon. For our entrees, Ken ordered a catfish Reuben sandwich, which I didn't try but which he said was very good, and I ordered a dish of shrimp, ham, and grits. I absolutely loved my dish, which was cooked perfectly on all counts - both the shrimp and ham were tender and not over-cooked, and though there were a lot of flavors going on, nothing dominated, and everything was well-complemented.

When it came time for dessert, I was already full, but Ken was in the mood for a port and something sweet. We decided to split a dessert, but I let Ken choose, since I would probably only have a bite or two. He picked the pecan pie, which we both know to be something that Ken loves and that I am indifferent about. When the dessert came, I was game to give it a try, and I was surprised at how good it tasted! If all pecan pies were made that well, then maybe I would be a fan. The espressos we had to end our meal had a touch of foam, and they were strong enough that even I added half a packet of sugar to round out the flavor. (I usually take my coffees and espressos black.)

Our service was professional and friendly, giving us nothing to complain about. Truly a perfect meal all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment