Monday, October 24, 2011

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (#4) by Lenore Look

★★★★

Hats off to Lenore Look for tackling a sensitive subject like death. I used to wonder why so many children's stories include a parent or both parents dying, and then I read an article about how stories about death and other difficult subjects allow kids to safely explore emotions and ask questions without having to actually face or discuss their own personal fears.

I think the author did a fantastic job giving young readers a context in which to discuss death, funerals, fears, cultural customs, and much more. Once again, I really enjoyed Flea, Alvin's "pirate" friend, who is well-adjusted despite having physical handicaps. Also, as usual, I like how Lenore Look casually weaved in Chinese words and culture without being heavy-handed about it; Alvin Ho is a second grader who just happens to be Chinese-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment