Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Tulip - Stoneham, MA

★★★


One of the most effective ways of judging an Asian restaurant is to look around at the clientele and observe how many customers are Asian. If you see a lot of Asian faces, then chances are the restaurant is authentic and highly regarded.

Unfortunately, walking through the dining room of Tulip, we saw nothing but Caucasian faces. We went for the lunch buffet, which consisted of predominantly "Americanized Chinese" foods, e.g., lots of fried options, General Gau's Chicken, and Egg Foo Young - which I actually finally ate for the first time. (It was really bland.)

Looking at the menu, it's just too varied. They offer Japanese hibachi and sushi in addition to Chinese food and Thai dishes. It's too broad to do any one cuisine really well.

I'm really not a fan of Americanized Chinese food, but for what this restaurant was, and considering its target audience, it seemed pretty decent. The place was clean, and our waiter was friendly. I probably won't go back myself, but I wouldn't mind recommending it if I knew someone was looking for an Americanized Chinese restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment