Friday, June 20, 2014

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

★★★★

I dare say, the title of this book was half the fun of reading it!

I was first made aware of this book when another book made an oblique reference to it. This book had an impressive fan base, and I was intrigued. I finally got around to checking it out of the library, and I read it aloud to both Isabelle and Sebastien. We all enjoyed it!

Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler's third-person narration in itself is not especially noteworthy, but her asides to Saxonberg, her lawyer, were entertaining, and it was fun to consider that the entire book was an account being outlined in a letter.

I admit, I didn't really understand why Claudia wanted to run away in the first place, though I did understand her reasons for delaying her return. I identified with her knack for organization, as well as Jamie's budgeting skills. I can see the draw this book would have for many children - Claudia and Jamie have an exciting adventure living rather comfortably all on their own. Though the siblings fight, they clearly have a supportive, loving relationship. The statue they encounter in the museum adds an element of mystery. And having it all take place in New York City, with a recurring risk of being discovered by museum guards, just made the story all that more interesting.

In the end, everything was wrapped up in a nice pretty bow, but Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler's presumed ongoing relationship with Claudia and Jamie just seemed a little too perfect, especially since it came on rather suddenly. And it bothered me that the kids - who were otherwise exceptionally well-adjusted and reasonable - never felt any remorse for having run away, never even gave a minute's thought to how their parents must have been feeling during their absence. Also, even though the book was clearly portraying a type of fantasy for runaways, it still came across as just a bit too easy.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that this book includes a short conversation about "dope addicts". I ended up having to give my kids a watered down explanation of drugs. The recommended age range for this book is 8-12 year olds, but because of the dope reference, I think it might be better suited for the upper end of that range.

No comments:

Post a Comment