Saturday, March 25, 2017

The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart

★★★

I enjoyed this book mostly because I liked spending time with the children. I feel like I know them now, and it was nice to see them getting along, and knowing each other so well. I wasn't exactly engaged in the story, though.

Up til now, the children were special because together they had a set of skills that made them cleverer than most. It's not that they were objectively smarter than others, but Reynie was especially observant, Kate was especially handy and physically adept, and Sticky had a photographic memory. Constance at first just seemed especially willful, but we eventually learned she had a kind of sixth sense. In this book, however, her talents crossed into the downright supernatural realm, and that was kind of weird.

Not much happened in the first half of the book, though the second half seemed to make up for it in the action department. Still, I constantly felt like the story was not so much unfolding in front of me, as it was being explained to me. And oftentimes, the explanations seemed convoluted or contrived.

The book did wrap things up nicely, and though I was prepared to feel sad at the end, there was a surprisingly satisfying happily ever after sort of ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment