Monday, May 29, 2017

The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice #2) by John Flanagan

★★★

*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

The action continues as Will and Horace play their roles in the coming war with Morgarath.

A good continuation of the first book, with Will still eager to learn, this time mostly from Gilan, who I enjoyed getting to know. Along the way, Will picks up some good advice and interpersonal skills, much of which I hope transfers to the young readers of the book!

I thought it was a bit too easy for the titular bridge, and the tunnel behind it, to have been left unguarded. But I guess even if there had been guards, Will could have just taken them out with arrows or something.

I think my relative rating of this book as lower than my rating of the first book is mostly because this installment had an awful lot of fight scenes. I thought they were well-written - exciting and descriptive, but not gory - but I think I'm just not personally too interested in reading about the battles themselves. Also, I'm not sure yet what to make of Evanlyn. I guess I'll withhold judgment until I see how her character and story line develops.

The cliffhanger ending was quite unexpected!

No comments:

Post a Comment