Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The Sorcerer of the North (Ranger's Apprentice #5) by John Flanagan

★★★★

This book - which brings us to the small coastal fief of Seacliff, and then to the remote northern fief of Norgate - is exactly what I had wanted to read earlier in the series, when Will and Evanlyn being whisked off to Skandia derailed my enjoyment of being immersed in Araluen lore. I almost gave this book 5 stars for its pure entertainment value, but then I ended up downgrading it to 4 stars because there wasn't quite as much humor, or anything particularly remarkable, as in other books. A solid adventure and a good story, but maybe lacking that "something extra".

I don't want to give anything away, but maybe what I found most memorable about this book is the brief lesson of compassion that pops up towards the end. It was a quick glimpse, and I'm hoping we'll see more of that part of the story in the next book. This one ends on a complete cliffhanger with nothing resolved, so I'm assuming Book 6 is more like "Part 2" to this book.

Oh, and for parents previewing books for children - this book has multiple mild occurrences of "damn" or "dammit", and it also includes the word "bitch" once, but it is actually used to refer to a female dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment