Saturday, May 12, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians #1) by Kevin Kwan

★★★

A fun, frolicking read among the lifestyles of the crazy rich Asians of Singapore. Frequent footnotes explained the many-faceted Singaporean culture, a mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian, and British influences, and language that drew from Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay, and Hokkien. Authentic foods, high fashion, and soaring architecture make this book one for the senses - it's easy to envision the big-screen interpretation, which I can't wait to see in August.

In fact, without the trailer for the upcoming movie - and Constance Wu firmly planted in my mind as Rachel Chu - I'm not sure what kind of an impression Rachel and Nick would have made on me; despite being main characters, they are perhaps the two least developed characters in the book. While Rachel and Nick drove the story, I found myself at least as invested in Astrid Leong's storyline, if not more. And while relationships were at the center of the drama, I wouldn't call this book a "romance" novel. It's a light-hearted romp into a fantasy of over-the-top luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment