Friday, March 8, 2019

Holes by Louis Sachar

★★★★

Holes was on my to-read list for the longest time, but I never really felt compelled to read it based on the summary description. I don't think the blurbs do it justice; this book is just hard to describe. I finally picked it up because it was on the shelf at the library when I happened to be browsing.

So the book is fiction, set in a modern-day America, but events are too surreal for it to be considered realistic. It's quirky, kind of like dark humor, but appropriate for kids.

As much as I loved the book in the end, I'm giving it 4 stars because it took a while for me to get into it. In its defense, the story just takes a long time to set up. There's a lot of backstory to lay down as the narrative switches between Stanley's modern-day life and relevant events in the lives of his ancestors. You get the feeling that it's all related somehow, but I guess I got impatient, and kept wondering, "Where is this going?!" Rest assured, you'll be rewarded in the end, when everything comes together.

Also, I was a little put off by what I perceived as inconsistency in Mr. Pendanski's character. At first, I thought he was the one compassionate adult at Camp Green Lake, a genuine counselor who truly wanted to help the boys. It seemed completely out of character when he belittled Zero as stupid.

Mostly I like that this book is about a really good story, but I can see how someone might be especially taken with it if they come away with a good message, too. There's some racial awareness, a sense of destiny, an interconnectedness among family generations. There's a lesson about hanging in there, even when things go badly, and about being good to others, and building meaningful relationships.

A good read for kids looking for something just a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment