Sunday, August 25, 2019

Part Asian, 100% Hapa by Kip Fulbeck

★★★★★

I LOOOOOVE that this book exists.

My children are Hapa, and I want them to feel like they belong, that they have "their people", their tribe. We are lucky to live in an area with plenty of other part-Asian kids, but seeing a world of Hapas outside our own community, of all ages and ethnicities, is even more empowering.

Each 2-page spread features a photo of a person, their self-identified ethnicities (to demystify their race so you can't be distracted by the mystery), and their own handwritten responses to the age-old question faced by anyone who is not white: "What are you?"

The answers are amazing. They are thoughtful and irreverent, earnest and frivolous. The wide range of responses just can't be summarized. Every page is worth reading, every story deserves to be heard.

This book reminded me of a Facebook post by The Love Life Of An Asian Guy. Only now do I realize that the post was inspired by one of the photos in this book! These are the words of LLAG:

Dear EVERYONE,

Stop invalidating folks who are multiracial. There are (at least) three different ways to identity as a multiracial POC:

1.) Who you are based on DNA percentages ("I'm 50% Filipino and 50% Black")
2.) Who you are based on your physical appearance ("I'm Filipino and Black but I look and experience life as a Black individual.")
3.) Who you are based on culture ("I'm Filipino and Black but I connect more with my Filipino heritage.")

We should let multiracial folks make that decision on their own instead of us trying to fit them into boxes that we prefer.

But, even better (IMO) is the belief that multiracial folks are 100% of everything. 100% Black. 100% Filipino. 100% them. We can still address colorism and privilege without striping them of their right to identify.

If they wanna self hate and neglect their POC side in favor of their whiteness, so be it. It's their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment