Thursday, August 5, 2021

While Justice Sleeps by Stacey Abrams

★★★★

I don't usually read political thrillers, but I follow American politics, and the author being Stacey Abrams was enough to pique my interest.

I got the feeling that Abrams really enjoyed writing this book. There were lots of fun word choices, like when a woman is described as "an eggplant-attired matron of impeccable breeding and questionable chromatic theory." (p. 177) I could just imagine the author chuckling to herself and being really proud of that phrasing.

This book is a light read, easy and entertaining. My husband would call it "popcorn reading". There is drama from the very beginning and the action is non-stop, with quite a few unexpected developments. It was certainly a page-turner for me, with sufficient suspense to keep me wondering and occasional oblique references to things you assume will be spelled out later. Early on there was what I considered an unrealistic guessing of a password - Do people really have predictable passwords these days? - but I got over it and made sure to put myself into suspended disbelief mode for the rest of the book. It was easy to imagine the story unfolding like in a movie; if it gets adapted, I'd see it for sure!

Incidentally, I appreciated the diversity of the characters; the protagonist is mixed-race white and Black, and her best friend is Asian.

No comments:

Post a Comment