Saturday, February 20, 2010

Masa - Woburn, MA

★★★★½

Steve introduced us to Masa, and we loved it! We didn't order entrees, though, so my rating may be skewed. (There are always "those" restaurants that have excellent appetizers and desserts, but only mediocre entrees.) We knew we wanted to try their tapas, which are only served at the bar, so we waited around for bar seats to open up. Someone who might have been the manager saw us waiting, surveyed the dining guests, and gave us some tips on where we might want to hover in order to get the next available seats. Once we found seats in the bar area, he quickly brought us some menus. The bartender was pretty friendly, too; by the time our dinner was over, Ken had developed a rapport with him. Ken thought our mojitos were perfect (lots of fresh mint), but I thought mine was a little dry; I think I do like my mojitos to be just a little sweet. We ordered the combo platter of 10 different tapas, and 7 out of 10 were really fantastic. The remaining 3 weren't bad, they just didn't stand out as being as interesting or as flavorful as the other 7. We also got 3 out of the 4 available small dishes (I forget what they called them, they were somewhere between tapas and appetizers.); I loved the BBQ mac 'n cheese with chorizo, and Ken said the tuna tartare was great. For dessert we got the two menu items with chocolate; the "chocolate truffle tamale" (kind of like a molten chocolate cake) was yummy, and Steve said the bourbon pecan pie had a good filling, but a weak crust. (I'm not into nuts, so I don't think I can judge nut-based desserts fairly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment