Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Golden Compass (2007)

★★★★

My rating may be artificially high because I did enjoy the book as well. For once, I even think the movie is better than the book! The movie simplifies the story here and there to make it work on screen, and frankly, I think the changes make the story tighter. Memorable lines made it into the movie, and I liked the visual translation of all the characters, especially Serafina Pekkala. Interestingly, the movie ends before the dramatic finale of the book; I assume it would be included in a sequel.

Though I haven't yet finished reading the trilogy, my understanding is that while The Golden Compass is mostly harmless, it sets the stage for the religious controversy laid out in the rest of the series. My impression is that the movie is the same - religious authority is never mentioned explicitly, but the Magisterium could easily be interpreted as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment