Thursday, October 28, 2010

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth (#4) by Rick Riordan

★★★½

Probably the first book was rated higher than the others partly because the mere premise of the entire series impressed me. The next two books increasingly disappointed me, but I'm happy to say that this fourth book in the series rekindled my interest.

For the first time, Riordan re-told a significant portion of a Greek myth instead of just making a passing reference. I appreciated how the original myth added context to the story. I also liked how the Labyrinth - like the Sea of Monsters in book two - kept the story focused and provided for a good medium by which the heroes could encounter difference places and different monsters. Finally, I liked the way Riordan incorporated a healthy environmental message.

As with the last two books, there were a few annoyances, mostly involving inconsistencies. Even though pride is supposed to be Annabeth's fatal flaw, her ridiculous behavior putting petty pride before the quest seemed uncharacteristic. Also, somehow Tyson was strong enough to tear the bars off a jail cell, but not strong enough to break through some ropes?

Overall, I'm glad to see the series picking up, and I hope the next book, the last in the series, won't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment