Friday, December 28, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (#1) (2012)

★★★★★

So, as we know, The Hobbit, the book, is a prequel to the LOTR series, and it is shorter, simpler, and more approachable than any of the individual books in the trilogy. I have to admit, then, that before seeing the movie, I wasn't entirely sure that dividing the film version into three parts was a good idea.

But, come on! What did I have to be skeptical about?! This is Peter Jackson, who gave us the amazing LOTR trilogy on the big screen! (I have just now realized that I never rated those movies, but of course, they all would get 5 stars!)

I was practically giddy just watching the movie, it was such a great adventure! My only complaint now, about there being three parts, is that I have to wait to see the sequel!

I haven't recently read the book, so of course a re-reading is in order, but my impression is that the movie follows the book pretty closely - lots of the scenes were familiar.

One thing that surprised me is that there was no effort at all to individually introduce all the dwarves - Thorin and Balin had more prominent roles, and Kili and Fili stood out as well, but all the rest just blended together. Afterwards, I realized that I didn't even know which dwarf was Gloin, which would have been fun to know just because he is, of course, Gimli's father.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished re-reading the book, and I'm not sure I know much of the difference in the dwarves either! except Bomfur was fat, Balin was old and had a history with Thorin. I'm not even sure of Bomfur's name, and I literally finished it LAST NIGHT. So I think it's a little unimportant which dwarf was which. Reading it, it was way more easy and fun than LOTR, the language is easier, there's alot of humor. I can't wait to see the movie, but I can't find someone to see it with me!! (Pete already saw it...doesn't seem worth it to pay for a sitter for him to see it with me). Pete did say they ADDED stuff to the movie, which was not in the book...presumably to extend the scenes to make this 1 book into 3 movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're right, whatever distinction of dwarves came through in the movie is pretty much exactly what came through in the book, too. Like what you said about Bombur and Balin.

    Ken said that some of the stuff that was added in the movie was actually taken from the Silmarillion, but I don't know if he made that up or really heard it or read it somewhere. :P

    ReplyDelete