Friday, June 7, 2013

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables #1) by Lucy Maud Montgomery

★★★★★

Oh, what can I say about this classic?! It's clear why this book has earned the recognition it has.

I love the Megan Follows movie adaptation, but I had never read the book - until now. It was especially satisfying to see how closely the movie followed the book, so even though this was my first time reading it, almost all the chapters had some sense of familiarity. Oftentimes, I recognized dialogue as having been directly quoted in the movie.

I love Anne Shirley. She is so uplifting!! She's optimistic, loyal, devoted, and sincere. She's hard-working and honest and altogether just filled with life. With her talk of bosom friends and kindred spirits, who wouldn't want one, too?! Especially one like her.

Lucy Maud Montgomery writes beautifully, artfully describing all the colors and seasons of Avonlea. When I first started reading this book out loud to Isabelle, I did wonder if all the descriptions might get tiresome... But no, they didn't! In fact, they were well-suited for reading aloud, almost like reading poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment