Sunday, June 9, 2013

Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures by Amber Dusick

★★★★

This book is hilarious!

Despite looking like a normal-sized book, half the contents are illustrations, and I read it cover to cover in about an hour. For what it is - a book that grew out of a blog - I thought it was pretty good. I admit, however, that I was not at all familiar with the blog, and so everything in the book was new material to me.

My friend Sarah was given this book as a gift when she had her second child, and she thought it was so funny that she let me borrow it when she was done. The short, anecdotal pieces definitely make this book well-suited for intermittent reading - maybe something to pick up every now and then while breastfeeding a newborn.

I honestly found almost every insight to be true to my experience. While my first thought was that this book would be a good gift for new mothers, I quickly changed my mind. In fact, I think this book would be a great gift for second-time mothers, just as it was given to my friend Sarah. A first-time mother reading this book might think the incidents were exaggerated, or might not believe that such things could actually happen, or worse, might be discouraged by the unpleasant and undesirable situations described. A second or third-time mother would, I hope, see the humor in these stories, and recognize them as part and parcel of parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment