Monday, September 30, 2013

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Longstocking #1) by Astrid Lindgren

★★★

Growing up, I knew there existed a fictional character named Pippi Longstocking, and I knew she had red hair and braids that stuck out. But that's pretty much about all I knew about her.

I found this series at the local library and picked up the first three books for Isabelle. She really enjoyed them, and she gave this one 5 stars. But, after reading it myself, I just can't bring myself to give it more than 3 stars. I can see why children would enjoy Pippi and her antics, but I think this kind of tall tale-ish storytelling just isn't my cup of tea. Yes, Pippi has a huge heart and can be very endearing! But, she can also be ridiculous and infuriating. :P

This book was originally published in Sweden in 1957, and it's kind of interesting to read an old-fashioned book through the lens of modern society. Even though Pippi is just nine years old, and her neighbors are presumably around the same age, there is talk about cannibals, and the kids play with real daggers and pistols! Of course it's easy to say that none of it is real, but it's still worth mentioning as a heads-up in light of today's hyper-sensitivity to guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment