Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Secret Garden (1993)

★★★½

Of course, after reading the the book, I had to watch a film adaptation! I managed to talk Isabelle and Sebastien into watching it with me, and a nice, cozy time was had by all.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Professor McGonagall cast as Mrs. Medlock, but then I was disappointed to see that Mrs. Medlock was a bit harsher than I imagined her to be in the book. As might be expected, there were quite a few deviations from the book, mostly for the sake of moving the story along, I think. A few new details were thrown in, maybe to add drama and poignancy. It was too bad, but understandable, that Martha's mother was left out entirely.

I liked seeing a grand, full-color representation of the gorgeous secret garden.

Though the ending itself was just as it should be, I didn't like that in order to get there, this movie version had Mary relapsing into a bout of contrariness. Her transformation in the movie was not quite as dramatic as it was in the book.

The acting (by the children) was sometimes less than natural, and at times the pace just seemed slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment