Friday, December 27, 2013

Frozen (2013)

★★★★★

*** WARNING: This review contains spoilers!! ***

I think my rating is overly generous because it was just so much fun going to the movies!! I hadn't been to a movie theatre in months, and it was especially nice going with just Isabelle and me.

Excitement aside, I do think this was a good movie. Instead of the usual girl-meets-prince-and-gets-married plot, we have girl-meets-prince-and-falls-in-love-only-to-find-out-later-he's-a-scoundrel! It actually has a very good "Don't rush into relationships!" message.

This movie was also interesting because, besides the prince-turned-scoundrel - the revelation of which only occurred towards the end of the movie - there really was no evil villain. There was one guy who was not exactly nice, but he wasn't an evil mastermind, and was more of a nuisance than anything else. The "badness" that propelled the story stemmed from a princess having been born with ice powers that she didn't know how to control. A really great twist on the usual Disney MO, I thought.

Also, I loved that the "true love" that saved the kingdom was not romantic love, but sisterly love. Plus, even though this movie does have romantic love, Elsa was just fine without it.

And of course, there's also a comic sidekick, and in this case, I really did enjoy Olaf the snowman!

No comments:

Post a Comment