Thursday, September 4, 2014

Just Grace (Just Grace #1) by Charise Maricle Harper

★★★★

This book is a quick read consisting of short chapters and many small illustrations. It's just the right level for a lower-elementary school reader who is just getting into chapter books.

I have to admit, I had a bit of a shaky start with this book. I was a little put off by how Grace got her classroom name of "Just Grace". When Isabelle first explained to me the title of this book - before I read it myself - I thought Grace liked her fun and unusual nickname! As it turned out, though, it was all a big misunderstanding, and she hated it. It seemed like Grace was setting a poor example by complaining about her nickname rather than simply approaching her teacher to clear everything up and choose a new nickname. If the series really hinged on her nickname being "Just Grace", I would have preferred it if Grace at least didn't mind her nickname.

I was also bothered by a passage near the beginning of the book in which Grace categorized certain likes and activities as "boy things". Even though Grace declared that she likes some "boy things", I thought it was really unfortunate that this book reinforced at all the notion of gender dictating likes and dislikes. Why can't she just like what she likes?

After getting past those hurdles, I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed Grace's matter-of-fact first-person perspective. I think her literary voice was spot on, just what young children might be thinking if they really were that articulate. Sometimes the way she first described others was a bit harsh... But it was realistic, and by the end of the book, she learned some lessons in getting to know others. I loved that Grace fancied herself a superhero with the power of empathy! In that regard, she is a great example of how one can be thoughtful and compassionate.

No comments:

Post a Comment