Monday, September 8, 2014

Surprises According to Humphrey (Humphrey #4) by Betty G. Birney

★★★½

At the start of each new Humphrey book, I feel like I'm in store for a solid 4-star book. But, along the way, something comes up that doesn't quite sit well with me, and I end up giving it 3 1/2 stars. In this book's case, Humphrey's runaway imagination annoyed me. He is usually such a smart, clever, and resourceful little fellow that it was completely out of character for him to think that a substitute custodian could be an alien! It was just too ridiculous, even for a book about a thinking hamster who can read and write English.

Other than the crazy alien bit, the book did have some nice developments, plus a few surprises. Mostly it was more of the same, with Humphrey going home with different students on the weekends and finding ways to help out in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment