Wednesday, November 21, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time (Time #1) by Madeleine L'Engle

★★★

I first read this book for school in 4th grade, and mostly I remember not understanding it. Literally the only thing I remembered about the book is the scene when the children first arrive on Camazotz, and everyone is behaving in unison. Reading this book now essentially felt like I was reading it for the first time.

I have to admit, I am not generally a reader of sci-fi, so a book about space and time travel wouldn't normally interest me. But with this book being in the media so much because of the new movie, and everyone heaping praise on the book, I figured I should give it a chance.

I was struck by how dated the writing was - the book was first published in 1962 - and I wonder if children reading the book today notice it? The way Meg calls her parents "Mother" and "Father", and Calvin using phrases like "golly day". I found it endearing in a charmingly nostalgic way.

I really liked Meg. With all her faults and emotions, she was a really authentic character to me. I liked Calvin, too, even though it seemed so random that he just showed up.

It wasn't until almost the very end of the book, when the travelers landed on the planet Ixchel, that I finally got roped in. I liked the beasts on that planet, and I wanted to see how the book would end. The actual events turned out to be anticlimactic, but it was satisfying to finally realize what the book was about: the power of love (reminiscent of Harry Potter, until I remembered that this book came first) and how the essence of people and things - what they mean to you - is more important than visible, physical characteristics. Also, I liked Meg's evolution from being completely dependent on others to being empowered to do what was required, despite being scared and unsure.

Interestingly, there were Christian references strewn throughout, and it seemed to me that the power of good in the universe was meant to come from a Lord that was constant through all the worlds and galaxies. This was somewhat surprising because while other series like The Chronicles of Narnia and The Golden Compass are known for their religious and anti-religious themes, respectively, I hadn't heard about the religious nature of this book at all! It actually made for an intriguing combination, the scientific and mathematically-oriented minds of Mr. and Mrs. Murry and Meg, and the faith and love of a Christian God powering the goodness of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment