Thursday, November 1, 2018

How To American: An Immigrant's Guide to Disappointing Your Parents by Jimmy O. Yang

★★★½

This book was a fun read, and funny, too!

First off, like Fresh Off the Boat, this book might not be for everyone. Jimmy - usually I refer to authors by their last name, but somehow, "Jimmy" just fits; plus, I can't bring myself to call him "Yang" when I know his proper last name is "Ouyang". Anyway, maybe it's part of his comedy shtick, but he frequently idolized the "gangster rapper" lifestyle, including the objectification of women. The book includes swearing, drugs, and a whole chapter about how he worked as a strip club DJ.

I most enjoyed this book's beginning and end. The first couple chapters were devoted to Jimmy's typical immigrant experiences. As a child of Chinese immigrants myself, I could easily relate to much of his story. The last couple chapters described how Jimmy navigated Hollywood as an Asian-American, and how his roles - especially the time he spent filming Crazy Rich Asians - helped him to come to terms with his Asian-American identity. The struggle is real, and having books that explore and validate my own experiences really does make me feel empowered and visible.

In the middle, we follow Jimmy's less-than-glamorous ascent to stardom. Even while in seemingly rock-bottom type situations, he describes each episode of his life with such matter-of-factness, humor, and optimism that the book never feels too heavy. Most times I felt like I was just along for an entertaining ride.

Now, I'm a big fan of formal education - like if you want to be an actor, you can still go to college and get an acting-related degree. But Jimmy is a walking example of how a person with enough spunk, passion, and, yes, you have to have talent, too, really can approach life as one big educational opportunity with lessons to learn in every experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment