Friday, April 5, 2019

Blended by Sharon M. Draper

★★★★★

*** Warning!! This review contains spoilers!! ***

I think this middle grade book is perfect for helping to stimulate much-needed age-appropriate discussions about race, identity, class, and divorce.

There's so much I appreciate about this book. Mostly, I like that it can serve as a "mirror" for so many children who more often than not get "windows". There aren't a lot of books about children with divorced parents who don't get along, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids who could relate to Isabella's frustrations as she alternates weeks between mom's house and dad's house. I can imagine kids feeling relieved and understood as they read about Isabella's mixed emotions, especially regarding things that other people simply expect her to be happy about.

Of course, Isabella has the added confusion of trying to make sense of her identity as the child of a white mother and a black father. Children's books about people of color are still few and far between, let alone books about biracial children. In this book, biracial children can relate to Isabella's confusion as she comes to terms with her racial identity, including her experiences that are uniquely tied to being mixed race. All children of color might be able to relate to the incidences involving the way other people treat her based on her perceived race.

Going even farther, Isabella's two households are separated not only by race, but also by class. Her father is a white collar professional who has a large and formal home. Her mother is a blue collar worker who has a modest and laid back home. Class differences are rarely addressed in children's books, but surely children notice when their friends have much fancier, or much more modest, houses and lifestyles.

On top of all that, this book does a huge service by modeling productive race discussions in classrooms, among friends, and between parents and children. Isabella's white friend Heather even serves as a positive example of allyship.

I've read some other people's reviews already, and I sort of feel like I want to address some of the most common complaints. Many people dislike that there were "too many" issues, but I strongly disagree. This is Isabella's life, complicated and messy, just as many children's lives are in real life. I appreciate that this book reflects that reality.

Some people thought the narrative voice of 11-year-old Isabella didn't sound genuine, or they got annoyed with her constant references to slime and brand names. Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I really found Isabella's dialogue and perspectives to be authentic. I could easily imagine the printed words being spoken to me by a 6th grader.

Another common complaint is that the race-related events just weren't believable, or were treated too heavy-handedly. Personally, I was constantly making connections to real-life events, and I think they are worth exploring. When Isabella's black friend Imani finds a noose in her locker, I was reminded of the 10-year-old Muslim girl who received hate notes in her school cubby. When Isabella and Imani are confronted by a security guard in a store, I was reminded of the three black teenage boys who were accused of shoplifting at a Nordstrom Rack. And when Isabella was shot during a police stop, I was reminded of both Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old black boy who was fatally shot by police officers who mistook a toy gun for a real gun, and also Stephon Clark, a black man who was fatally shot by police officers who mistook a cell phone for a gun.

All of that might sound kind of intense for a children's book, and I'm always quick to give a heads-up in my reviews to alert parents of any content that might call for concurrent or follow-up conversations. So definitely be aware that this book addresses police brutality and Black Lives Matter. Still, I think the material is presented in approachable, age-appropriate ways, and I think the topics covered are worth talking about with upper elementary and middle school kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment