Sunday, April 21, 2019

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

★★★★★

*** Warning: This review contains spoilers!! ***

I don't care what anyone says, I refuse to believe that the little prince dies. I see him as the manifestation of the pilot's childhood innocence, and while many of us may lose touch with our inner child as we grow up, I don't think we ever lose that sense of youth completely. Our inner child may get buried deep inside us, maybe we never again consciously recognize them, but I think they live on inside us; I definitely do not think they die.

In fact, I see all the planets and their inhabitants as pieces of our adult selves, some being more prominent in one's character than others. None of them ever die, the potential for each personality trait exists within us, it's just a matter of which ones manifest in us the most, and to what extent.

And yes, I know snakes can represent loss of innocence, or evil, in books... And the little prince makes clear statements to and about the yellow snake regarding the snake's poison... But the pilot himself believes the little prince did go back to his planet, and that's good enough for me!

Anyway, one of the messages of the book is, "What is most important is invisible." So really, what's most important is that the spirit of the little prince lives on. It's not actually important to know for sure if the little prince physically "dies" on our earth or not, if he figuratively "dies" as part of his mode of transportation back home, or if he literally dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment