Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Her2: The Making of Herceptin, a Revolutionary Treatment for Breast Cancer by Robert Bazell

★★★★★

I first read about the dramatic story behind Herceptin in The Emperor of All Maladies, a sweeping biography of cancer that includes Herceptin as one of many major developments in cancer research. When I learned of a book that dives in deep and provides all the fascinating details of Herceptin's own biography, I jumped to read it.

This story has all the players you might expect, and more. There are academic researchers, oncologists, and biotechnology executives; insurance companies, government agencies, Hollywood philanthropists, and activists. There are missed opportunities, serendipitous encounters, and determined individuals with unrelenting perseverence. 

The author, Robert Bazell, interweaves the story of Herceptin with stories of women with breast cancer who helped make the drug available by participating in clinical trials or by advocating for compassionate access before it was FDA-approved. Bazell provides important facts about cancer and cancer research alongside candid accounts of the reality of cancer treatment and recurrence. There is poignancy and meaning in each woman's story. 

For me, this book is personal, so maybe my rating is inflated. I was diagnosed with a HER2-positive breast cancer and am currently receiving targeted therapy with Herceptin. I am keenly aware that if I had been diagnosed 25 years earlier, my prognosis would very likely have been much more grim. I am deeply indebted to every individual who believed that Herceptin would save lives, and who persisted despite obstacles and set-backs. I feel sincere gratitude towards each woman whose participation in a clinical trial helped bring the drug to market.

Finally, this book reaffirmed my belief that health care and pharmaceuticals should not be for-profit industries. I am horrified to think of how many potentially life-saving drugs aren't under development because corporate executives don't see a path to profit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment