Thursday, October 10, 2019

Exile (Keeper of the Lost Cities #2) by Shannon Messenger

★★★

I still like the series, but I felt this book was lacking. I was a bit bored at the start, feeling like the story didn't pick up until chapter 8. I was annoyed at all the explicit recapping, but my daughter said if I had to wait a year in between reading books, I'd have appreciated it. The adults in this series seem to have a bigger role than I realized, because we didn't get to see any peers for Sophie until Dex appeared in chapter 15.

Similarities to Harry Potter continue, e.g., the mesmer talent is analogous to the imperius curse, and inflicting is like the cruciatus curse. Also, Silveny the flying horse-like alicorn was reminiscent of Buckbeak the flying half-horse hippogriff. But just as my son assured me, by the end of this book, the series veered quite a bit away from the wizarding world of Harry Potter. 

I was surprised at how dark and disturbing some of the scenes were, e.g., people consumed to death by flames, minds shattered to the point of insanity. I liked the encouraging message about not letting yourself get destroyed by guilt. And I thought it was weird how quickly elves turned to sedatives to calm down, instead of just trying to calm down naturally. 

Overall, the whole arc of the story just seemed kind of convoluted. The link between Sophie wanting to save Alden and her figuring some doodles in an old diary would be the answer seemed awfully tenuous. And sure, all the clues left by the Black Swan were intriguing and helped to build suspense, but why all the riddles? If they were able to contact Sophie directly via private messages in her locker, why not just give her clear instructions? 

Finally, I had to dock the rating a star because I really disliked the way the author reframed J.R.R. Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings was a seminal work of fantasy and literature, yet in Shannon Messenger's elven world, Tolkien was unoriginal and didn't understand his own writing. Maybe she was trying to pay homage to Tolkien's elves, but the execution was lacking and, at least to me, it felt derisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment