Friday, April 1, 2011

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

★★★★★

I had read so many positive reviews of this movie beforehand that I was afraid it might not live up to expectations. Thankfully, it did.

The film was well-paced and lovely to watch. The story is faithful to the book, and even though liberties were taken, I actually didn't mind them. In fact, I dare say the screenplay managed to improve upon the book! The movie far better justified Elinor's fondness of Edward and Marianne's developing esteem for Colonel Brandon. It even did an impressive job of incorporating Margaret more so than the book. Scenes and conversations were much condensed, but not in any way that detracted from the story. I always like it when movie dialogue is taken directly from the book, and there were at least a few instances of that here (though one of my favorite lines, referencing a flannel waistcoat, wasn't included).

Some characters in the book were omitted from the movie, but those that were included were well-portrayed and true to the book. I was especially delighted to see Dr. House and Prof. Snape make their appearances!

2 comments:

  1. oh Snape! I can't watch this without thinking of Snape. I did like it, and it's not like Snape being Colonel Brandon made it bad or anything, but I just kept subconsciously projected Snape onto the character! haha! no fault of the movie, just my own love of Snape. haha. :)

    I haven't watched the other S&S adaptations, but I did like this one. I think I found it slow to read, until I watched the movie, and it inspired me to finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved recognizing Snape! Before he appeared in the movie, I had no idea he was in it! Haha. I totally just thought of Snape every time I saw him, too.

    This movie was definitely the best adaptation. The rest that I saw were all BBC mini-series, and if you thought the book was slow to read, maybe a mini-series would be slow to watch!

    ReplyDelete