Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

★★★★

I dare say I may need to amend my rating, in case this book's relative worth changes in light of reading Emma and Persuasion, which are next on my to-read list.

There is much to enjoy in this book. As usual, Jane Austen timelessly depicts the subtleties of human nature, including the agonies of heartbreak. Her usual talent for dialogue is evident, and her storytelling leaves no detail unexplained. I had feared I might not appreciate the book's ending, but by the time I finished the final page, I couldn't help but feel satisfied with the outcomes.

All that being said, I wasn't as totally engrossed in this book as I was with Pride and Prejudice. Sense and Sensibility starts slowly and with the introduction of characters I found unlikeable. It wasn't until Chapter 8 that I encountered the engaging dialogue I was expecting. For much of the book I couldn't understand what was so great about Edward, and Margaret was so seldom referenced that I rather wondered why she was included at all. When Willoughby came to Elinor and made his excuses, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to take away from his defense of his indefensible actions. (Thankfully, after the extensive monologue, Austen made her customary summary of facts that provided some clarification, but still left me unsure of what to make of Willoughby.)

Now, I look forward to watching a few screen adaptations!

1 comment: