Thursday, August 4, 2011

Inkheart (2008)

★★★

A rare case in which the movie was actually better than the book!

I liked the book, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, so all the deviations in the movie really didn't bother me. The movie was true to the spirit of the book, and all the condensing made for a well-paced movie.

I was pleasantly surprised that the character of Dustfinger was much more appealing than he was in the book. The Black Jackets were a bit over-the-top - even considering that I expected them to be over-the-top - but their campiness made the movie more suitable for kids anyway. Capricorn reminded me of the Sheriff in the BBC series Robin Hood.

I actually much preferred the movie's ending over the book's ending. The book is the first of a trilogy, and even though I haven't read the second or third books yet, the finality of the movie's ending makes it seem like there are no plans to make movie versions of books two and three.

No comments:

Post a Comment