Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby #5) by Beverly Cleary

★★★★

Okay, just after saying that this series deserves 5 stars across the board, I'm giving 4 stars to Ramona and Her Mother. :P

It's not that this book isn't great - it is! - I just didn't find it quite as interesting as the others. Ramona watches her mother and Beezus bond while hosting a brunch and discussing hair, and she feels left out. She yearns for her mother to show her the same type of affection that she shows Beezus.

As a mother, I am always thinking about "fairness"... Of course, I need to treat my older daughter differently than the way I treat my younger son - they are different ages, different genders, different people! But, at the same time, I don't want either kid to feel shafted when one or the other is getting more attention, for whatever reason. Well, maybe I feel like the underlying issue in this book wasn't addressed - Beezus is older, and therefore, she gets different kinds of attention than Ramona. In the end, all Ramona wanted was for her mother to say the same things to her as she said to Beezus. I suppose it's a good reminder that kids really do listen, even when we think they aren't, so we should give thought to what we say.

Isabelle, anyway, says her favorite part of this book was when Beezus got her hair cut and styled by a beauty school student, and when it turned out looking awful, Ramona wanted Beezus to look like herself. I'm pleased with this answer, because it shows that Isabelle actually has a sense of compassion. :P Even though Ramona was in the midst of feeling jealous of the attention Beezus was getting from their mother, that didn't stop her from wanting her sister to look like her sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment