Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children #5) by Gertrude Chandler Warner

★★★★

*** Warning: This review contains spoilers! ***

I really liked this book! I liked having a more realistic personality like Mike mixing things up with the always well-behaved, always polite and proper Alden children. Mike keeps it real.

Also, once again, we have a real mystery on our hands, which was interesting. This time, it's a case of arson. The kids - but mostly Benny - get into trying to solve the case, but in the end, the uncovering of important clues was more a random discovery than the result of any intellectual efforts. But I guess that's okay with me, because the idea that these kids would be able to solve a case that the FBI can't is a little far-fetched, so it's nice that a little luck came their way.

It seemed kind of odd, though, that the bad guy's motivation boiled down to revenge for not having been able to pull off a scam in the past. Seems like in real life, the bad guy would just move on and not obsess over this one missed opportunity.

It was also kind of over the top the way Mike's Mother's Place just came together so quickly, and it was a bit too reminiscent of the overnight success of Benny's Buns in Snowbound Mystery.

I thought of giving this book 3 1/2 stars, but I finally went with 4 stars because I actually just really enjoyed reading it, I think because of Mike.

Finally, one last thought. It is just me, or is there something between Mr. Carter and Jessie?! He's kind of old for her now, but maybe in a few years... !

No comments:

Post a Comment