Sunday, May 26, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

★★★★½

*** WARNING!! THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! ***

Action-packed right from the start! A fun movie with plenty of nods to the original. Unfortunately, while I was aware that homage was being paid, I'm not actually a fan of the original, and so I don't think I was able to fully appreciate the references. Still, I think I must give extra credit to this new release for actually making me want to go back and watch one of the original movies that I've never seen. :P

Incidentally, Ken correctly predicted two major plot points!

Update: Okay, I just watched the original Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and now I understand even more how the new movie pays tribute to the original! I love the Kirk-Spock role reversal at the end, and the re-use of dialogue. I'm changing my star rating from 4 to 4 1/2 stars. I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 stars because the movie wasn't amazing by itself; I had to put it into context with the original to fully appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment