Monday, January 20, 2014

The Cupid Chronicles (The Wedding Planner's Daughter #2) by Coleen Murtagh Paratore

★★

The first book was so much like a fairy tale that I was surprised to discover that it was only the first in a series. Usually I enjoy reading every book in a series, but The Wedding Planner's Daughter ended with such a fitting "happily ever after" that I really wasn't even curious to know what might have happened next.

I'm all for books including topics that young female readers can identify with, and I'm sure tween-aged girls everywhere can relate to Willa's crush on JFK. There's a big message in support of community service in this book, but the central theme is clearly romance. Throw in a predictable plot, and this book just felt too much like tween chick lit. (The first book included romance, yes, but mostly it was about Willa trying to find her place in the world around her.)

I liked some of the dialogue, especially Tina's no nonsense way of speaking. It's definitely a breezy, beachy read, and I can see how it might be a good option for an upper elementary or middle school girl who is into boys but not usually into reading.

Overall, though, it was a disappointing follow-up for me, and I don't think I'll bother reading the rest of the series unless Isabelle picks them up herself first.

No comments:

Post a Comment