Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Diamond of Darkhold (The Books of Ember #4) by Jeanne DuPrau

★★★★

This book had a rocky start for me - some of the developments seemed a bit far-fetched - but it got better as it went along. In the end, I liked it. Except, at the very end, when - just as I thought that one last loose end wasn't going to get tied up - it was, but in a kind of far-out, oddball way.

After the little detour the series took in The Prophet of Yonwood, I was happy to see Lina and Doon again. In this book, the people of Ember have settled in in Sparks, but now that it's winter, life is hard, and food and supplies are scarce. They sure could use a helpful push. Fortunately, one of the Builders had the foresight to leave for the people of Ember one magnificent invention that would help them as they embark on their task of re-creating civilization in a post-apocalyptic world. Of course, this one item is lost, and its instruction manual is in tatters. It's up to Lina and Doon to piece the puzzle together.

I really enjoyed the return to Ember. And though plenty of hints were dropped regarding what the mystery helpful item might be, I had no idea how this thing would be packaged. I have to admit, it was a clever little item.

As in The People of Sparks, I liked how the trading with roamers emphasized that in a world in which survival itself is a struggle, the most valuable possessions one can have are the items that are the most useful, e.g., cooking pots and tools. Jewels are pretty, but completely worthless!

Overall, a satisfying end to this series, which I enjoyed much more than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment