Sunday, August 10, 2014

Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge #2) by Judy Blume

★★★½

First of all, I have to say, I really enjoy it when books hint at the time period in which they were written. I think it gives the book charm. So, imagine my surprise when, reading this book that was published in 1972, I came across references to CD players and personal computers! Clearly, the version I read had been updated for modern technology, and that bummed me out.

I think Sheila Tubman offers a lot in terms of giving young readers a character to relate to - her volatility and flair for drama rang true to me! - and yet, I didn't find her very likable. But maybe that was the point? On the one hand, her tendency to over-compensate for her perceived short-comings, and to flaunt her perceived talents, was annoying and obnoxious. On the other hand, she was confident! She was bold! Despite her stubbornness, she conquered a fear! Part of me wished she learned a lesson about being humble and honest, but then again, it was satisfying to see her being true to herself - she is who she is! As she pointed out (on page 93 of my edition), "sometimes it is better to sing loud and be heard [even if you don't sing well] than to sing very nicely like Maryann, who nobody could hear."

I liked that Mouse didn't fall for Sheila's lies and exaggerations, but she also didn't judge her. She called Sheila out on her behavior without making it into a big confrontation. She seemed like a really good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment