Thursday, August 14, 2014

Save the Cupcake! (Confectionately Yours #1) by Lisa Papademetriou

★★★★★

*** WARNING: This review contains spoilers!!! ***

I am surprised myself that I am giving this book 5 stars! There are so many cupcake-themed books that I honestly never stopped to consider that any one or other might really be a worthwhile read. I can't keep up with all the books Isabelle brings home from the library, but she found a recipe in this book that we tried - the Spicy Mexican Chocolate "Hotheads", sans the spices so that we actually made regular molten chocolate cupcakes - and they were amazing!! So, I figured I'd give the book a shot.

First, let me commend the author on her commitment to diversity! Not only is the protagonist's grandmother British, but her sister has an African-American friend, her father has a Thai girlfriend, they have a Pakistani neighbor, a Jewish friend with a gluten allergy has a crush on a Muslim, another friend has a sister with autism, and a classmate is BLIND! Seems like that's a pretty impressive cast considering the main characters are Caucasian.

Second, I really liked the authenticity of Hayley's voice. I could totally appreciate her perspective. The "Confession" chapters strewn throughout the book were very effective in illustrating how kids growing up have to reconcile their past experiences and real emotions with new experiences that they aren't sure how to process. Hayley is entirely relatable in the way she has to put up a front with her friends and classmates, not because she is in any way "fake", but because life is complex, and she's still figuring things out.

I was surprised that this book dealt with real issues that many middle schoolers could probably identify with. While other books in the same genre may tend towards the over-the-top, this book seemed to keep it real. Hayley struggles with her parents' divorce, and she needs to come to terms with friendships that are evolving and devolving. Plus, when Hayley and Meghan fight to "save the cupcake", we actually got a realistic ending, not the fairy tale ending that I feared.

In fact, it was interesting that the story was set in Massachusetts. This book was published in 2012, and though many readers may not be aware, MA actually passed a law in 2011, in response to health concerns, to restrict the foods that can be distributed and sold in schools. While the plot of the story required a confrontation between those for and against the ban, it sort of seemed to me that the author didn't really want to take a side on the issue. The main arguments for each side were delineated, but not especially fleshed out. Both sides had good points, and events unfolded probably much like they would in real life. I will say, though, that as the mother of a child with life-threatening food allergies, I have seen the look of disappointment when my son (still in elementary school) can't eat the birthday cake that everyone else is eating. He always gets his own safe special treat, but it's not the same as the birthday cake, and like Hayley said (on page 147 of my edition), "Not everyone can handle [being different]."

No comments:

Post a Comment