Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge #1) by Judy Blume

★★★★

I have clear memories of reading this book as a kid. Isabelle borrowed the whole series from the library, so I picked them up for a re-read. It turns out, the last two books were published well after my childhood years, so I think I must have only read the first three growing up.

What I like best about this book is just how very relatable Peter Hatcher is. Even though Isabelle is not yet in fourth grade, and her little brother is a few years older than Fudge, I could see elements of their relationship in Peter and Fudge's. I am sure that Isabelle identified with how annoyed and frustrated Peter was by his little brother! And I think the book's first-person narrative from Peter's perspective was really convincing.

I like how Peter "knew better", so that whenever he was in a difficult situation with grown-ups, he remained well-mannered. He set a good example for proper behavior.

Despite thinking of himself as a "nothing", Peter actually had a very important role in the family as Fudge's big brother. Even though the book didn't explicitly discuss any epiphany on Peter's part, I hope even young readers will come away with that realization.

I really enjoy it when books hint at the time period in which they were written, so it was fun to see this book make mention of supermarket trading stamps - which I am mostly familiar with because of a Brady Bunch episode. Also, a drop-off party for 3-year-olds! It's just not so common these days. :P

Another thing that surprised me was a casual mention of "dope-pushers". This book was published in 1972, and it reminded me of how From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, published in 1967, also made mention of "dope addicts"! I think it's strange that books that are recommended for kids as young as 7 or 8 would make mention of drugs. So far, I think the only exposure that Isabelle has had to drugs is from these two books, though my sister says that her kids' school system starts DARE in kindergarten!

Finally, I'm no germaphobe, but I researched pet turtles for Isabelle a couple years ago, and found out they put people at risk for Salmonella. So, in light of that, I had difficulty suspending my disbelief in terms of how casually everyone (especially Fudge!) handled Dribble!

No comments:

Post a Comment