Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mysteries According to Humphrey (Humphrey #8) by Betty G. Birney

★★★★★

I enjoyed this book. I think it's one of the best in the series!

As the title indicates, there's a mystery in this installment. One morning, Mrs. Brisbane does not show up for school, and no one knows why! All the humans find out the reason soon enough, but nobody thinks to tell Humphrey. To him, it's "The Case of the Missing Mrs." The class has a substitute called Mr. E. ("Mister E", "mystery", get it?), and it's also a mystery why he continually leads the class in games instead of teaching them! Mr. E.'s teaching really was an effective portrayal of ineffective teaching. Both my kids (ages 6 and 9) weren't fooled by all the fun, and they quickly realized that a good teacher ought to be organized and clean, keep discipline in the classroom, and actually teach lessons.

The class also spends some time in this book reading "The Red-Headed League", a Sherlock Holmes story. I am almost ashamed to admit that I have never read a Sherlock Holmes book! The references to "The Red-Headed League" sufficiently piqued my interest that I dare say I might try to pick up a Sherlock Holmes book soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment