Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

★★★★★

As a kid, I loved the animated movie, but I had never read the book. Thanks to my cousin Shan, who sent us a copy, I finally got around to reading it, and I loved it.

To be honest, I was wary about reading it aloud to Sebastien. He has been known to have nightmares, or just cry at bedtime, saying he doesn't want to die, or he doesn't want someone he loves to die. Knowing that death is a big theme in this book, I wasn't sure how he would handle it. Well, I finally decided to read it to him, having heard before that story books are generally a safe and comfortable way to address big issues with kids without actually making them feel insecure in real life.

Right off the bat, I felt this book was meant to be read aloud. It seems to lend itself to just the right cadence to be heard in an entertaining and meaningful way. Of course the goose's speech is fun in and of itself, with dialogue like, "Probably-obably-obably!" But there were also descriptive passages that were a joy to read even while they left a lump in my throat, like the following on page 131 of my edition: "The children grabbed each other by the hand and danced off in the direction of the merry-go-round, toward the wonderful music and the wonderful adventure and the wonderful excitement, into the wonderful midway where there would be no parents to guard them and guide them, and where they could be happy and free and do as they pleased."

Sigh. Which brings me to the next reason I loved this book. It's just the perfect depiction of life and death and birth and growth and change and acceptance. Charlotte is a beautiful and intelligent friend to Wilbur, but she's still a spider, which means she drinks the blood of bugs. No use trying to ignore that fact, that's just the way it is. She lives her life fully, even as she ages and grows tired. Still, seasons change, and life continues. Fern grows up, as all children must.

About 2/3 of the way through the book, Sebastien wanted to take a break from it - I'm not sure why. But when he was ready to pick it up again, he was committed to finishing it. I teared up lots as the book came to a close, but Sebastien wasn't bothered. I think it all seemed matter-of-fact for him. I know he liked it, because he kept asking for one more chapter, one more chapter!

This book is going on our family room bookshelf, and I hope he picks it up again one day to read for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment