Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Local - Wayland, MA

★★★★


I'm afraid my experience with this restaurant has been a bit inconsistent...

First I went for drinks with some other moms in my neighborhood. All I had was a glass of white wine, but I did look longingly at some of the appetizers the other women ordered. I took a bite of the Brussels sprouts, and thought they were very good, but I politely refrained from eating off anyone else's plates, as this was the first time I was meeting some of them.

The next time I went, it was for coffee and dessert. The coffee was quite good, but the desserts, I'm afraid, were surprisingly lackluster. One of them was bread pudding, of which I'm not really a fan, so maybe it's not fair for me to judge that one. But the other dessert was a kind of chocolate cake, and I LOVE chocolate in all forms! But... I don't know. I was unimpressed. At the time, I remember thinking it wasn't sweet or chocolatey enough.

Soon after the dessert visit, I went for lunch with my good friend Sarah. I ordered a fruity cocktail - I believe it was the Raspberry Fizz - but was disappointed. It was fine, but it wasn't delicious. Sarah said her drink had much too much ice in it. We both enjoyed the homemade potato chips, and I had shrimp & grits for an appetizer, which was by far the best part of my meal. I loved it, even if the chorizo pieces were cut a bit large for my taste. My entree was fish tacos, which was remarkably bland, and the soft tortilla shell was mostly malleable, but unpleasantly hardened to a crisp in places.

Then, Ken and I went for dinner, and we actually had an impressive meal. The mussels we had for an appetizer were flavorful and plenty, and my short ribs with Brussels sprouts and grits was delicious - though a bit more sauce would have been nice. The only down side was that my ginger margarita was not very gingery. This meal alone would have been 4 1/2 stars.

Altogether, considering the multiple experiences, I guess I give them 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment