Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Familiars (The Familiars #1) by Adam Jay Epstein & Andrew Jacobson

★★★★

Even before I read the blurb on the back that echoed my own sentiments, I thought, "This book is like Harry Potter meets Warriors!" It's got the magic of Harry Potter - complete with a Hermione / Ron / Harry trio consisting of book-smart Skylar (a female bird), comic relief Gilbert (a male frog), and "muggle"-raised Aldwyn (a male cat) who has yet to discover his untapped potential - and, of course, the anthropomorphized animals reminiscent of Warriors, mostly because Aldwyn the cat is the main character. But also, their journey to fulfill a quest reminded me of Firestar's Quest, a Warriors Super Edition.

So, a "familiar" is a wizard's magical animal companion with whom the wizard has a special bond. They struck me as kind of like a cross between the pet animals of Harry Potter - like Hedwig, Scabbers, and Crookshanks - and the daemons of the His Dark Materials trilogy.

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't completely love it. I wonder if maybe it just seemed like the book was too derivative, and there wasn't much that was especially new to experience? I'm not sure, but I did like it enough to continue the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment