Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

★★★★★

I love this book! From the moment I read the opening line ("It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.") and the ensuing dialogue, I couldn't put it down.

I think I first read Pride and Prejudice in early high school, and though there are certainly reasons for reading classics as a teenager, I am sure I didn't fully appreciate this book until I read it as an adult.

The book starts right off with witty and humorous dialogue. Even though conversations have the formality of 18th/19th century English, they are surprisingly readable. And though the book is primarily concerned with what many people might call frivolous - the trials and tribulations of finding a husband in a society that considers marriage the ultimate goal for all young women - the human nature and emotions described are remarkably relevant, even 200 years after first being published.

The story itself is much like a modern-day soap opera, including the way each character is somehow connected, however tangentially, to other characters. It's a really diverting read. I don't know why I never read other Jane Austen novels, or even seen any of the movie adaptations, but I will now surely add them to my to-read and to-watch lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment