Friday, March 28, 2014

Argo (2012)

★★★★

Wow! This movie fascinated me. I was only 3 when the Iran hostage crisis occurred. My high school U.S. History class only got up to WWII, so I only had a vague understanding that Americans were held hostage in Iran during Carter's presidency, that they were not released under his administration, and that the crisis contributed to why Carter wasn't re-elected. I had no idea that there were 6 Americans who had escaped being taken hostage and who had to remain in hiding until they could somehow get out of Iran.

For most of the movie, I thought I would give it 5 stars, but the final sequence of the escape was so over-the-top - obviously intended for dramatic effect - that it seemed unbelievable.

Any time a movie is based on a true story, I want to know how much the movie deviated from the actual events. In this case, I definitely recommend reading up on the historical inaccuracies. Mostly, it seems that too much credit was given to the CIA, and not enough credit to Canada, England, and New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment