Sunday, March 2, 2014

Man of Steel (2013)

★★★

To be fair, I should admit that I watched this movie very late at night, after the kids finally got to sleep. I kept nodding off during the first portion that took place on Krypton, I managed to get a second wind once we got to Earth, but then I started to nod off again towards the end.

Mostly, I was pleasantly surprised by the cast full of characters from many of my favorite TV shows! Elliot from "Law & Order: SVU", Toby from "The West Wing", and even Doug Stamper from "House of Cards". That was fun.

I'm not a huge Superman fan or anything, though I remember enjoying the Christopher Reeve movies many times as a kid. I found myself trying to make sense of this movie by wondering if the details fit in with what I previous knew about Superman. I wasn't exactly sure how Superman's parents were able to conceive and deliver him, when their species hadn't conceived or delivered babies in "centuries". With their civilization so far removed from natural birth, and babies being engineering for specific roles in society, wouldn't they have engineered natural reproduction right out of their species?

I was certainly entertained throughout, though all the destruction seemed kind of excessive, even in the context of an alien invasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment