Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts #1) by Beverly Cleary

★★★★★

I think reading the Daddy-Long-Legs books got me into a mood for reading epistolary novels!

This is another book I clearly remember reading as a kid. I think at the time, I just really enjoyed the letter format, and it was fun to imagine what Mr. Henshaw wrote in his responses.

Now, reading this book as an adult, I just think it's such a great book for young people. In contrast to some of Beverly Cleary's other books - like the Ramona and Henry Huggins series - Leigh Botts doesn't have a perfect home life. Written in 1983, this book seems to have more modern sensibilities. Plus, Leigh is in sixth grade, so he's a bit older than Ramona and Henry were in their books. Leigh's parents are divorced, he's the new kid in school, and he's just not happy. Even if a young reader doesn't exactly identify with Leigh and his problems, I think it's a good eye-opener that can help kids to be sensitive to other people's problems.

Poor Leigh Botts is really unhappy about many things. Basically, his letters to Mr. Henshaw, and Mr. Henshaw's measured responses, help him to sort through his emotions and figure out how to deal with his problems. The book left me with a nice feeling that even if life doesn't turn out the way you want - even if you do feel sad and lonely now - you really will be okay.

Also, Leigh's interactions with Mr. Henshaw, Mr. Fridley, and Angela Badger reminded me just how much of an impression adults can make in a young person's life. Even the smallest words exchanged can be so meaningful to a young person.

No comments:

Post a Comment