Friday, March 28, 2014

The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse #1) by Beverly Cleary

★★★

I'm generally not a huge fan of anthropomorphized animals, and I am even less of a fan when the animals and humans converse with each other. Maybe I just lack the necessary imagination for suspended disbelief. I didn't even like the idea that the toy motorcycle could be powered to actually run simply by making fake motorcycle noises!

All that aside, I do see value in this book. Mostly I like it because it held Sebastien's interest. This was our first chapter book outside of the Magic Tree House series. He wasn't crazy about it, and he didn't ask me to read it as eagerly as he had asked for the Magic Tree House books to be read at bedtime, but he let me finish the book, and he wants to read the next one.

It's a cute story, with some nice lessons about being responsible and growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment